Friday, September 20, 2019

Haiku Writing - Moon Viewing 2019

(from the Splish! department)

Hi everyone,

Dana, Rose & I attended the Seattle Japanese Garden Moon Viewing on Friday, Sept. 13th, 2019 at the Washington Park Arboretum in Seattle.

If you aren't familiar, it's a nice evening event where you can stroll around the Japanese Garden, see traditional Japanese music and dance being performed live, enjoy a Bento Box dinner, and see the moon in all of its glory.

(More info here: https://www.seattlejapanesegarden.org/events-calendar/2019/9/13/moon-viewing-2019 )

We were really looking forward to this, since a full moon was expected!  Unfortunately - Washington weather conspired against us - the night of the moon viewing, the moon was completely obscured by clouds.

Still - we did have a good time - and even participated in the Haiku writing contest.  You could submit a maximum of two.

Here's the haiku we wrote that evening:

Paul:

Friday the thirteenth
Full moon hidden by clouds - splish
Now I swim with koi

Grey skies -
The promise of the Moon
Waiting to be uncovered

Dana: 

Moonbeams remind me
Of sharing summer secrets 
Whispered by sisters

Moon milk 
Cool the leaves' fire -
Warms my path

Rose:

Dear moon my friend
I shall see you again
When the flowers open and day ends 

Note - modern English haiku do not necessarily have to follow the 5 - 7 - 5 syllable rule, according to the rules of the contest.

As it turns out - Rose and I did pretty well this year!  We each got one of our haikus read out loud as an honorable mention!  Rose in the youth haiku category - and my "Grey skies" haiku as an adult!  

Sadly - my "Friday the thirteenth" did not make the humor category. 

Cheers,
Paul

No comments: